Solicitors in Letchworth, Herts

We provide client focused advice in our core areas of legal expertise: Family Law, Children Law and Personal Injury Law. We listen carefully to the needs of our clients and provide a personal service.

GC Solicitors are an established Hertfordshire law firm with a strong local focus. Based in Letchworth, our specialist teams offer a range of expert legal services to our clients.
Family Law solicitor Letchworth

Family Law

We understand how distressing a marriage/relationship breakdown can be, and our solicitors are trained to sensitively advise and guide you throughout this emotional and distressing time.
find out more
Children law solicitor Letchworth

Children Law

Our experienced specialist solicitors can advise you in this highly sensitive and complicated area of Law involving the Local Authority and Social Services.
find out more
Personal Injury Law solicitor Letchworth

Personal Injury Law

If you have suffered an injury our expert team of solicitors can guide you through the claims process and advise you throughout while you concentrate on your recovery.
find out more

What our clients are saying about us

Our Accreditations

Letchworth Solicitors - community legal service
Letchworth Solicitors - personal injury accredited
Letchworth Solicitors - children law accredited
Letchworth Solicitors - association of costs lawyers
Letchworth Solicitors - costs lawyer standards board

Latest News

Rights for Grandparents to have Contact with their Grandchildren
Calls are being made for a grandparent’s right to have contact with their grandchildren after a divorce to become protected by law.
Currently if grandparents are not allowed to see their grandchildren they would be required to make an application to the Court for a Child Arrangements Order to be made setting out when the parent must make the children available for contact with the grandparents.
It is hoped that the Children Act will be amended to include a child’s right to have a close relationship with members of their extended family which would also include aunts and uncles having contact with nieces and nephews.
MPs debating the issue recently said "Divorce and family breakdown can take an emotional toll on all involved, but the family dynamic that is all too often overlooked is that between grandparents and their grandchildren.  "When access to grandchildren is blocked, some grandparents call it a kind of living bereavement."
Until such time as the law is changed GC Solicitors remain dedicated to assist grandparents and other family members who are experiencing difficulties in having contact with their grandchildren, nieces and/or nephews.
By Kate Kingham
Read More
The Cohabiting Family Breakdown – What Happens When There are Children Involved?
Any relationship breakdown will be tough for the adults; however, it is even harder for children who may not be mature enough to understand what is happening, why their family is no longer living together or most importantly, why they feel they no longer have the security or stability that they once enjoyed.
Children need to know the relationship breakdown is not their fault and that both of their parents still love them even though the living arrangements will be changing. Children should be reminded that they do not need to pick sides and parents should do what they can to ensure that children are not being involved in adult conversations which they may not understand or which could put undue pressure on them. Children can feel the weight of the world on their shoulders and it is up to the parents to lift that weight for them to avoid trouble at the time of the break up and/or later in life.
Cohabiting parents who spilt up retain an obligation to look out for the children's best interests regardless of whom the children end up living with. We strongly encourage parents to provide their children with support during the transitional period.  We understand that sometimes it is not possible for parents to reach an agreement, as the emotional impact of the breakdown can make discussions and an agreement seem impossible. Mediation can be very helpful in finding a way forward and in most cases the courts require parents to consider mediation and attend a meeting giving information about mediation (MIAM) before starting court proceedings. There are mediators we can make referrals to on your behalf.
In most cases where child support cannot be agreed between parents it is dealt with by the Child Maintenance Service (formerly the Child Support Agency). This should be the first port of call for child maintenance.  
In a small number of cases, for example where one parent lives outside the UK or where one parent has a higher income than the maximum amount the CMS would assess, Section 15 of the Children Act 1989 enables a parent to apply for the following orders:
  1. Periodical payments to the applicant for the benefit of the children;
  2. Lump sum to the applicant for the benefit of the children;
  3. Settlement ofproperty for the benefit of the children;
  4. Transfer of property to the applicant for the benefit of the child.
The Children Act 1989 can be very important to an unmarried parent, as it can be used to obtain property orders for the benefit of the children, which could secure the right for the children and the parent with care to occupy the home. Careful consideration needs to be given as to whether a case is suitable for a s.15 application.
Obtaining legal advice at the outset will equip you with expert advice from specialist family lawyers on what your options are and will give you a practical way forward.  We have a team of solicitors who will assist you with minimising the impact on children. If you are or were in a cohabiting relationship which has broken down, whether or not there are children involved, and want to know what your options are, contact our family law team to seek advice on 01462 483 800 or
Advice can be provided in the first instance at a fixed fee appointment for 1-hour at a cost of £144 inclusive of VAT or for 1 hour & 30 minutes for £180 inclusive of VAT at the time of writing (June 2018). The amount of time needed will depend on the complexity of your situation.
By Vyonne Manuel & Stephanie Wells
June 2018
Read More
Law Lord Defends Injury Claims
Lord Sumption recently gave a lecture for barristers at the Personal Injuries Bar Association and said that,

'If the law says that we are entitled to blame other people for our misfortunes, it is..absurd to complain about a culture of blame, as if this was somehow a symptom of a collective moral degeneration'.  

He said that those making claims should not be criticised for knowing and exercising their rights.  If you believe that you have an accident claim and would like personal injury claims advice call our specialist team on 01462 483800.

Read More